I think I see a skink!, Winners, and Other Excitement!

Yikes! This has been a quite a week in my first grade classroom! I anticipated a bit of chaos due to parent conferences, picture day, and concession sales, but I sure was not prepared for the amount of crazy that ensued yesterday!

Here is a little sneak peak at the reason for all the insanity in my room! Meet "Skinky" the skink! (who is a little blurry because I was seriously freaked out by her appearance in my room!)


It all started Wednesday afternoon as I was leaving the building. I opened the back door to exit and felt something creepy and smooth race over my foot! I screamed my head off thinking that it was a snake as they have been known to lurk around our back storage area.  When I looked down, I was startled to see that I had accidentally let some sort of lizard into the building! Of course, I nearly scared it half to death, so it took off into my teammate's room, which is connected to mine.   My favorite custodian was unable to catch him, so I went home and told my husband the crazy story.  He lovingly assured me that the lizard would definitely be long gone from my room by the next morning. Little did he know that I'm not that lucky...

So, yesterday started out pretty normal. I warned my kiddos as well as my principal and teammate next door about the lizard on the loose. They all laughed and thought I was crazy for worrying so  much about it.  As the day went on, I was a little jumpy, but I tried to push the thought of the creepy creature out of my mind.  That is, until our afternoon read-aloud time.  As I went to sit down on my rocking chair, I suddenly realized that I was about to sit on the intruding lizard!! It was all curled up, smack in the middle of the cushion on my seat!  So much for calm, structured teaching...I went berserk screaming, jumping, and yelling for help!

Fortunately, my principal came to the rescue, and the kids all clapped and cheered when our visitor, who turned out to be a female skink, was captured.  Needless to say, all my planned teaching for the remainder of the day was sidetracked by this critter encounter.  We did a little research and learned that skinks can lose their tails when frightened, and I am sooo glad that I did not have a loose tail flip-flopping around my room!  I would have really lost it! The kids really enjoyed reading and writing about the skink, and even though it was unplanned, it turned out to be a great learning experience for all of us.

And here I thought the highlight of the week would be our 3-D map that we made in Social Studies! Ha! Here are some photos of our 3-D map and the Circle within a Circle within a Circle Map we created to describe homes, neighborhoods, and communities.



In other crazy and exciting news, I am very thrilled and a little overwhelmed by the fact that so many of you have found my Binder Covers useful! I had a request to add monthly binders for June and July, so those are now included if you'd like to redownload the file for Free from TPT.  Also, if you have been to my store, you may have noticed some small changes.  The organizing and spring cleaning bug has definitely bitten me, so I'm working on making over my products.  If you already own my Classroom Jobs Pocket Chart or Magnetic Set, it is now fancy schmancy with updated graphics, some new job titles, and it comes in six color schemes to match any classroom.  If you own my previous set, you can update yours for free by simply re-downloading it!


The final bit of excitement...the winners!


Please send me an email at bmrice@ballstate.bsu.edu indicating which item you would like me to send to you! Have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I hate lizards!!!! This is a crazy story! Glad you survived :)

    ✰Amber
    Sparkles , Smiles, and Student Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading your story what a great ending. Please write a children book. This would be an awesome story to read to kinder to 4 grade students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. joker โบนัส 100 เครดิตฟรี เล่นง่าย ได้จริง slot online
    https://www.slot4u.com/joker123

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't matter if it's teachers or students, everyone's first week at school is a frustrating one. But I am sure you will be able to cope with your problems and hesitations. Have a good day. Buy Assignment Online

    ReplyDelete

 

Find Me On Instagram

Popular Posts

Search


Find Me On Pinterest